Choosing the perfect neck pillow: memory foam or latex?
Memory foam and latex are two commonly used materials in the manufacturing of neck pillows. Here are the main differences between the two:
- Material: Memory foam is a synthetic material developed by NASA, known for its ability to conform to the shape of the body and slowly return to its original shape. Latex, on the other hand, is a natural material derived from the sap of the rubber tree.
- Feel and support: Memory foam offers a feeling of suspension and cushioning, adapts to the shape of your neck and head and reduces pressure points. Excellent for the treatment of neck pain. On the other hand, latex offers even support and a light resilient feel.
- Responsiveness and Movement: Memory foam is known for its slow responsiveness, which creates a suspended sensation and reduced motion transfer. Latex, on the other hand, is more responsive and quickly returns to its original shape, allowing for more movement and faster response to rest positions.
- Breathability and Temperature: Latex is generally considered to be more breathable than memory foam, due to its porous structure that allows for better airflow. To overcome this problem, the memory is drilled over the entire surface.
- Durability: Both materials can have good durability.
- Allergies and hygiene: Both materials are in contact with a coating therefore it must be kept clean by washing as indicated in the manufacturer's maintenance labels.
When it comes to ensuring optimal rest and taking care of the health of the neck and cervical vertebrae, choosing the right pillow is essential. We have seen the main differences between the two materials, We will now continue to analyze these differences, in order to help you make an informed decision on choosing the most suitable neck pillow material for you.
Memory foam is a material developed by NASA in the 1960s that revolutionized the mattress and pillow industry. It conforms to your body in response to heat and pressure, creating a custom support and suspended feel. This means that the memory foam pillow conforms to the shape of your neck and head, reducing pressure points and aligning your spine. Definitely the best features for a neck pillow.
The fact that NASA still uses memory foam and not latex for its astronauts should already direct your choice.
Over the years memory foams have been improved in many aspects in terms of transpiration, by applying holes on the entire surface, the speed of response, modifying its composition, in fact today on the market there are anatomical pillows for the neck with slow and fast response based on to its density.
So first choose the most suitable material for us:
- Memory foam or latex
Then the shape of the pillow:
- Double wave or bar of soap
Then its dimensions:
13cm high or 11cm high (at the top)
So why is memory preferred over latex?
For two main reasons, its ability to best adapt to the part of the body giving comfort and support by minimizing pressure points and the possibility of being able to insert substances that are also useful for other purposes in the memory such as the essences of chamomile, lavender or aloe vera gel forever .
Many argue that the latex pillow is more sustainable, we at Cipoxpat have created a super organic neck pillow all made in Italy and with a double coating to increase the level of hygiene.
The last covering is in Tencel, a material deriving from the processing of eucalyptus vegetable fibers with the recovery of 99% of the products used in the production phase.
In conclusion, when choosing an orthopedic cervical pillow, always remember to also take into consideration your sleeping style, any allergies and other specific needs.
Finally, before buying a cervical pillow, it is always useful to read product reviews, consult authoritative sites and, if possible, in the case of particular pathologies, seek advice from professionals in the sector, such as physical therapists.
You can also consult these sites for more information: